Friday, January 31, 2014

January Blues

I've been home for over a month now and (surprise) I'm still bored/bummed about being home/missing the UK. Since I've basically neglected this blog during my time abroad, I figured it's still acceptable to make travel-related posts here (because I feel as though my Europe word vomit is starting to annoy everyone in my life...I am sorry).

Being back in a small town where virtually nothing exciting happens just makes me miss living in a city even more. Adjusting back to living here is proving to be much more difficult than it was getting used to London. I'm sure I'll regret saying this when May comes around, but right now I'm just antsy to graduate and move away.

THINGS I MISS A WHOLE LOT:

St. Pancras; The Meeting Place sculpture by Paul Day
I think about this train station often. I lived a short walk from St. Pancras/Kings Cross Station, and every time I returned to London after traveling and saw that surreally huge sculpture, I immediately felt like I was home again. Sometimes you have to slow down and realize just how lucky you are. Instead of just passing through I would end up sitting in the station for an hour or so, people-watching and listening to various travelers stop at the pianos to play a song or two before heading home. It was also a great place to watch reunions à la the opening scene of Love Actually (and if you're a sap like me, there's literally nothing better to witness in person).

It's a double rainbowwwwww! All the way!!!!!! Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It feels like 90% of the photos in the camera roll on my phone are of the view from my bedroom window, which was unreal. I promise pictures don't even do it justice. This one is my favorite, though. Half of the city was black and stormy and the other was vibrant and sunny, the two halves separated by a massive rainbow. I got so excited that I FaceTimed my mom and we pretty much repeated "holy shit" for ten minutes until it faded away. My living space was tiny and shared with a roommate, but it was worth it solely for this view. I also loved keeping the window cracked at night to hear the soft buzz of nightlife going on sixteen stories down as I fell asleep.

Trafalgar Square at dusk, aka when the tourists are in hiding
Ahhhhh Trafalgar Square. My worst enemy, my best friend, and everything in between. During the day this place is packed with tourists and street performers, which is fine unless you're trying to maneuver through everyone in order to make it to the National Gallery and meet your art class on time. But at night, Trafalgar Square is practically empty and the perfect place to just sit and soak everything in, either alone or with my friends (who are vastly important to me and I miss dearly). I also just really really really like fountains. A lot. Bonus: there is free wifi, which is pretty special for international students who have no phone plans. Some of my favorite and most vivid memories are from being here at night.

I'm certain the fact that it's been -20 degrees outside in Upstate New York along with how stressed I am about applying for summer internships hasn't helped with how nostalgic I'm feeling. Studying abroad is a really unique experience in that it kind of doesn't feel like real life. Basically a three month vacation with veeeeeery limited responsibility, and this semester feels like the Monday that you go back to work after said vacation.

On the bright side - the Puppy Bowl is on this weekend. You win this round, America.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment